Sunday, April 10, 2011

True Bypass or Not True Bypass, that is the question!

Originally Posted on

There has been a lot of controversy in the effects world about the benefits of true bypass and the alleged tone sucking properties of non-true bypass pedals. For those who do not know, True bypass means that the dry (non effected) signal is passed through the pedal without passing through the circuitry. Non-true bypass pedals pass through the circuitry.

Tone suck. You hear that term associated with non-true bypass pedals. What people are referring to is the frequency loss associated with a non-effected signal going through the circuit. Back in the old days (think 1960s to 1980s) this was a common problem. In fact, you could sometimes hear a whisper of the effected sound when in bypass mode! I can remember having some cheap chorus pedals that sounded almost full effect when in bypass mode.


Since starting Jax Music Supply in 2007, I have had the opportunity to try a lot of different effects pedals. Many had true bypass, some did not. Generally speaking, I didn’t notice that much of a difference. I did notice some tone loss on lower priced pedals, such as the Danelectro DJ series, but it wasn’t what I called significant. In fact, I’m not sure the newer guitar player would even notice the difference.



Many more expensive pedals that use non-true bypass, such as Visual Sound products, I doubt anyone could tell the difference except that they may sound better than true bypass pedals. Visual Sound’s tone buffer is amazing, especially when you compare a true bypass pedal and a Visual Sound pedal using a longer (20 foot) instrument cable. The buffer circuit they are using really keeps the tone loss to a minimum.


Many popular pedals do not use true bypass – Boss, Ibanez, Visual Sound, and some MXR, to name just a few. The fact that these companies are successful says something about the mythology of True Bypass. Having played lots of pedals over the years, I can say that very few pedals really benefit from a True Bypass switch. Can anyone give an opinion about True Bypass?


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very interesting post Coop! Thanks for sharing it! It is always a joy to learn something that I didn't know. Before I read this post, I wasn't aware that a Solar power plant manufacturers could be used in such a way, and now I am aware of this. I have you to thank for teaching me something new, and I appreciate it very much. :-)

Please read my post

Uninterruptible power supply manufacturers